Friday, August 16, 2013

Kalua Pig Tostadas

Kalua Pig Tostadas courtesy of Yours Truly

My First blog! =)

So yesterday marks over 2 weeks in recovery from minor surgery I had done on my leg and I'm still not up to 100% because of a post op infection. I had also just spent a ton of money paying off most of the surgery bill as well as a birthday party which consisted of a Seafood Boil fit for a king! In an attempt to save money but still eat well, I decided to prepare dinner from things we already had laying around the house, with a minor exception of buying onions, tostadas, tomatoes, refried beans and sour cream from a local Mexican market.

I know, I know. . . The list of items bought seems like a lot right? Well if you know these Mexican markets, you'd know that these markets are dirt cheap! Just take a peak at the following picture, for proof. Sometimes the deals here get even cheaper and the quality is no different from Safeway, in my opinion.
Santa Fe Mercado, Eastside San Jose
So after we got whatever supplies we needed from the store, which btw is literally just about 2 blocks away from my house, I got to work. Well actually I put on Fast & Furious 6 and chilled with my gf for about an hour, to give my roommate time to get home and eat with us. We were also waiting for a friend to stop by to pickup a Chocolate Haupia(coconut) Pie for an ongoing fundraiser I'm doing to pay for my surgery bill. Well my friend was running late due to a last minute crunch to meet a deadline at work (I assume from procrastination, hehehe) and I figured that since it was already kinda late in the evening, I'd just invite him over for dinner.

The roommate was out unusually late and I was too lazy to text him to find out if he'd be home soon, so I waited for my friend to text when he was on his way. Once the text came I went to the kitchen and got to work. We had leftover shredded cheddar from the Cheddar Bay Biscuits my roommate made, lots of Kalua Pig from my ongoing fundraiser and cilantro from I-have-no-clue-when (but it was fresh). All that, combined with what we bought, I began the process:


Kalua Pig Tostadas

Ingredients:
  • 1lb. kalua pig
  • 6-12 tostadas
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or more)
  • 1 red onion
  • a gallon of sour cream
  • 1 large mountain of shredded cheddar cheese
  • a salad bowl of refried beans
  • 3 chopped tomatoes

Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees, on broil
  2. Heat the kalua pig however you like (I placed it in a pot with some water on medium heat)
  3. Quickly layer beans, cheese, onions and tomatoes on each tostada
  4. Please tostadas on a baking sheet then place in the oven on the top rack, for about 1 minute
  5. Remove tostadas from the oven and immediately place a generous amount of kalua pig on each
  6. Drizzle sour cream onto each (or drop a fat slab in the center like I did)
  7. Garnish with cilantro and serve =)
Note: The reason for layering the ingredients quickly is because the tostada tends to get soggy if you let it sit for too long with all the ingredients on it. 

Kalua Pig Tostadas, 6 to a tray

Just as I finished making the tostadas and posting pics on Facebook, both my friend and my roommate arrived at the same time. I had tagged them both in the FB photo so both had already knew what was waiting for them. When they walked in the door we all almost immediately served ourselves and sat down to watch Jack the Giant Slayer while we munched on my mouth-watering creation! 

I made a total of 12 tostadas with just 1 pound of kalua pig and everyone was completely satisfied after dinner was done. We even had 1 tostada to spare at the end of the night. 

Not bad in my book! 


Peace and Poi,
Dis Hungry Hawaiian

4 comments:

  1. Bro! I love this blog! Great writing style and what an awesome picture of the tostadas. I like how you posted a recipe for others who may want to try to make this themselves. Very cool! Looking forward to your next post....keep writing!
    Definitely putting a link to your blog on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This is a great idea to blog this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks good!

    --
    sluggo - aka slingblab

    ReplyDelete